The scratches on your helmet visor will put you at risk by reducing the visibility, as you’ll not be able to see clearly through a scratched and rough visor.
Hence, you should remove these scratches and enjoy a clear vision. If you are going for a DIY method, you must be very careful. Because you can deteriorate the integrity of your helmet visor by using the incorrect methods.
To make things easier, I will tell you in this article how to remove scratches from helmet visor at home.
Suggested Read: How to remove motorcycle helmet visor
Table of Contents
Things you’ll need
- 320-grit sandpaper
- 2000-grit sandpaper
- Scratch and swirl remover
- Drill machine
- Old buffing wheel
- Paper towel
Step 1 (320-Grit Sandpaper)
- First of all, remove the visor from the helmet. (Learn how to remove helmet visor)
- Then take a piece of 320-grit sandpaper, and wet sand the area of the visor where you have a scratch.
- Wet the sandpaper often by dipping it in water, otherwise, it will leave the visor very cloudy and distorted.
- Keep sanding until we get the visor as smooth as we can get it with 320-grit sandpaper.
- Sand it in a circular motion until you are not feeling any scratches by running your thumbnail on the shield, and you can’t visibly see any scratches.
- You’ll see a bunch of little itsy-Betsy scratches that are from the 320-grit sandpaper itself. Which is fine, and we’ll take them out.
- This step may take fifteen minutes. At the end of this step, you’ll have a smooth and cloudy visor.
Step 2 (2000-Grit Sandpaper)
- Now switch over to 2000-grit sandpaper, and we’ll do the same thing one more time.
- Sand it in a circular motion until the cloudiness starts to clear up.
- When everything looks exactly uniform and the surface of the visor starts to smooth out, then you are done with the sanding process.
Step 3 (Scratch And Swirl Remover)
- Now take some scratch and swirl remover on a cloth and rub it in a circular motion on the visor to get the luster. You can do this process by hand, but you won’t get that high luster and it will be a time-consuming process.
- To save some time and labor, use an old buffing wheel and a drill machine. Fix the buffing wheel on the drill, and put some polish directly on the visor.
- Turn on the drill machine and start rubbing the polish on the visor with the buffing wheel.
- Continue the process for some minutes, then get a paper towel and wipe the excess polish off.
- Repeat it two to three times until you get a clear and shiny visor without any scratches on it.
This process is very easy and money-saving. You can remove the scratches from your helmet visor easily at home with this inexpensive stuff.
You’ll not have to buy a new visor if you have got a scratch on your shield, thus, it will save you money.
Hope this article will help you to get a clear scratch-free visor at home.